Saturday, April 13, 2013

Fabulous Friday: Custom keys, funky fork planters & Nautical Nails !


Have you seen the post about using your favorite nail polishes to make your keys more colorful?  Well, tonight I tried it and I LOVED it!  Instead of just using plain colors, I decided to add a sparkle layer!

Lay out your keys and place a protective layer down.  Do this project when you have lots of time to let the keys dry in between painting sides and allowing to dry overnight.

  I suggest using higher quality opaque colors, as the green that I used didn't work well.   I wasn't happy with the final color with the green, but the others turned out nice!. 

Only paint the top portion of the key where you would hold it during usage.   Use nail polish remover and a q-tip to clean up any messy lines or dripping.   


The final product was OK, not as nice as some of the picture I've seen it online.  They must use SUPER nice nail polish--which I won't use for projects like this.



Speaking of nails!  I saw a post on Pinterest for Nautical Nails.... so I wanted to try them...   

The Inspiration:

 
Mine:
The color is navy blue with white lines and I used the Gelous under and overcoat.    This stuff is AMAZING.    All the 'rage' now is 'gel nails', which last for a long time.  The Gelous product, found at Sally Beauty Supply, works great.  It is certianly worth the $5.99 that I purchased it for.


  For these nails, I roughed up my nails with a buffer, and painted a thin layer of Gelous product on my nails making sure that I got the over the ends of the nails.  You must let the Gelous product dry completely 5-10 minutes.   I was able to do my 2 coats of navy blue "Petites by Scherer".   After the Navy blue dried completely, I applied the white horizontal lines and let dry.  Finally, I added an anchor accent on the ring finger and added the heart and glitter accents to the thumb and middle on both hands. I'm ready for spring with these awesome nautical nails and they shouldn't chip for a while using the Gelous Product!


The last thing I wanted to show was the funky fork planters.    These are an upcycled product from a tin can, cheap fork ( really nice forks don't bend well...get the chincey ones)  and acrylic paint!

  You'll also need some needle nose pliers, and super glue.   .  Wash and dry the can, eliminating any kinds of residue.  After you have a a clean can, you may start to bend your fork.  You'll need to bend the fork in a way that it has flat areas that will attach to the can in two places (or at least one spot)   You must bend and check against the can until you get a perfect fit After checking for fit, super glue the fork and hold in place until dry.  You can bend the prongs of the fork any way you wish, just be sure that you do not leave any prongs that will poke someone when they pick it up. 
The idea is to create visual interest by bending the fork in several unique shapes, and to create the planters in corresponding colors.  You may also use them as hanging planters by adding hooks or wires to the planter.  You can waterproof them by spraying applying a clear layer of spray varnish to the outside of the can after painting them with your choice of acrylic paints.



I hope that you enjoy tonight's projects, and I'll follow up later on with more ideas!  
(I'll probably also have to proof-read this later, as well.......its late......and Friday......brain is fried)




No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you!