Thursday, September 12, 2013

A small reflection.

I couldn't help but feel the need to speak about September 11th 2001 terrorist attacks.  I find myself just wincing at the replays from that day. I'm sure this sinking feeling is how people felt about the Kennedy assassination,Vietnam, the world wars, and other horrible events in our past. Nothing quite stings more than watching the events unfold on replay, knowing what the horrendous outcome would inevitably be.  Trying to stop my mind from yelling to the first responders on the video, "don't go in there! It is not safe!"   It's a nightmare, that replays every year.  I know Mr. Rodgers told us to look for the helpers...but it is the helpers that I feel much of the remorse.  Those who had the guts to stand in the face of danger and take on the tasks of rescue.  I'm sure folks who live in our area today complained of the heat today, awkwardly acknowledging it in passing: "gee, it's hot out there" , or " boy, I can't take this heat."  I know I did.  But it makes me feel bad to know that those rescuers stood in unimaginable heat, forging up flights of stairs to save lives. Or the rescuers who dug for days on the smoldering wreckage to find survivors.  If you know me, I don't outwardly talk about this event. I prefer to reflect personally and silently.  As I was about 16 when the event occurred, I was just understanding the realm of what happened and the world relationships overseas.  Terms that I didn't understand floated out of the television for weeks and months after the attacks and I passively chose to put it out of my mind each time.  I still can't bring myself to watch footage of that day.  It hurts too much.  It's very much a wound that is reinsured every year.  I was scarred, as was all of America.  I guess I chose to write about it as healing. As we move past this day on to the rest of our year, I implore you to stay vigilant, stay alert, and stay proud of our country.   Signing off for now, and a happy post next time, promise.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you!