Friday, April 19, 2013

Many people have asked.... so I'll share...

The abbreviated birth story....

The view from my hospital bed.
On June 14th, 2012, I look past the tears and waved to my husband as a gas mask was placed over my face.  I woke up to excruciating pain and my husband saying, do you want to see him?  I remember crying out, no!  No?  Who doesn't want to see their baby for the first time?  I had nearly given birth when a chest pain raged throughout my body causing my blood pressure to spike.  My doctor (who had delivered me, and my husband) said it was the most difficult C-section he had every performed in his career.  Had I been able to push for about 30 minutes more, he would have been out.  Regardless, I was put under for a c-section, and we weren't out of the danger zone yet.  After much pain medicine, I began to feel numb. I could now focus on the miracle in front of me.  My little boy. It tears my heart out that I was too weak to hold him close.  I was preparing for another surgery.  Amongst the chaos of the c-section, one of my ureters was disrupted in the process. Less than 12 hours since being in labor, having a c-section, and having a new baby, I was put to the test again for a second surgery.  I had a stent placed inside the ureter to keep the path between my kidneys and bladder open.  I thank my luck stars that there were no complications, and most of all my little baby boy was healthy.  The saddest part of my entire hospital stay was seeing the little welcome card on his cradle saying "I am a breastfed boy!" Due to the many medications that I was taking(as well as full body hives, that I still have, might I add), along with the dye that I was injected with, breastfeeding wasn't an option....my husband, (the angel) changed every diaper, and did every feeding until I regained my strength and composure.







Flash forward 10 months and I have a healthy, smiley, baby boy.  My physical wounds have healed, as well.  I do have painful memories of my son's arrival, but I know that he will someday appreciate the sacrifices that I (and his father) gave for his life that day.  We have the most wonderful, calm, and sweet natured boy that anyone could ask for.  Even though he really only verbalizes 'dada'  the look in his eyes when he sees me return from work says it all.  He has just began to crawl, we are buying our first house, and we are planning the one year anniversary of that fateful day when he arrived 2 weeks early and changed our lives forever.  I could talk about things that I do to try and be a magnificent mom to him....but that all doesn't really matter to me.  I know that I've done everything I possibly could for this little guy and will continue for as long as I live. 


Wasn't able to hear his first cry or see his birth....but thank goodness for cameras



look at us now!
a mother's love.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you!